Mindful Emotion Coaching is based on three scientific concepts from Center on the Developing Child, Harvard University::
- develop an environment of responsive relationships with 'serve and return' interactions based the sience that tells us that responsive relationships and positive experiences build sturdy brain architecture and promote healthy development
Professor John Gottman's Emotion Coaching
- strengthen core life skills to improve executive function and self regulation
Professor Dan Siegel's Hand Model
- reduce sources of stress, increase understanding of positive/tolerable/toxic stress.
Toxic stress disrupts the developing brain and other biological systems with lifelong consequences for learning, behaviour and health (more likely to have heart disease, diabetes, hypertension, addiction)
As adults around children in schools, services and communities we have the opportunity to model responsive relationships and scaffold life skills and to identify toxic stress (safeguarding).
In order to do this effectively we need to first build our own self regulation and executive function skills. In our training we use ( for example) - The Hand Model metaphor, Emotion Coaching, Mindful Exercises, River of Wellbeing, Family of Origin Exercise.
The training draws on resources put together by Tuning in to Kids in Melbourne as well as research by key American thinkers- Jack Shonkoff, Dan Siegel and John Gottman. We have brought together the essence of their work and created a short psycho-social behavioural change intervention which is easy to teach and reproducible.
Consultation- Dr Sarah Temple- Finding bespoke solutions using the Theory of Change, working with Education, Health, Care and Police services to enable Working Together.
Coaching and Supervision -coaching and supervision for school staff and families on a one to one or group basis from £40 an hour. Video link or Face to Face.
Training to cascade:
Two half day workshops developing empathy, self regulation, emotion regulation and executive function skills with opportunity for Learners to practice these skills between workshops. Discussion of the evidence base for this approach and how the 3 Principles to Improve Outcomes for Children and Families can fit into a whole system approach to resilience. Two group on line video conference sessions between workshops. Maximum 20 Learners. Training room provided by the host school. Two Facilitators.
There is also the option to attend a two day workshop training to run Tuning in to Teens Parenting Groups. Attending these groups helps embed understanding of Mindful Emotion Coaching and running a Parent Support Group at least once a year is a good way of staying in touch with the theory and resources. Tuning in to Teens is a copy righted, manualised and evidence based Parenting Programme developed in The Mindful Centre, Melbourne, Australia.
Our training model includes:
- one to one or group coaching - on line using video conferencing
- access to and use of our training powerpoints
- free log in to our e-learning portal www.emotionintelligence.co.uk
- free log in to our Interactive Website (automatic registration process) www.mindfulemotioncoaching.co.uk
In addition we offer top up video coaching and INSET.
Comments from Learners:
- interesting and hugely beneficial
- the course reinforced best practice and gave up to date information on neuroscience
- I have used this directly with a 1:1 child and usd the hand model with parents as a tool to help explain what happens when their child 'flips their lid'
- good tool, straightforward phrases, really useful!
- a much needed training day, well delivered and easy to engage with